Cross-pollination of art and science is trending — “STEAM” is rising. But what does art-science mean, what is it good for, and how does one go about it? Is it art that communicates or illustrates science? Or is it Maker Spaces? Or is it using science labs and tools to make art? Or… is it breaking down those boundaries altogether, inventing a new way of working with pure creativity and sharp critical thinking? The answer is yes, art-science can be any of those things. I will help you make sense of art-science, find the niche of art-science that works for you and your institution, and guide you in developing a meaningful collaborations.
What Brighter Impacts Consulting can do for you:
- COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES: Would you like to build meaningful cross-disciplinary connections between faculty in the arts and those in the sciences? Want to develop interdisciplinary courses and programs? I can help you facilitate an art-science retreat, help you develop programming, and strengthen connections across disciplines.
- SCIENTISTS: Want to connect with an artist who can communicate your work and make it enticing to the public? I will connect you to an artist collaborator and ensure there is a balance between the artist’s creative voice and your need for accuracy.
- NSF GRANT PIs: Looking for a Broader Impacts project that stands out and helps you engage with the public in meaningful ways? I will design an innovative and relevant art-science project for your grant, craft a strong BI statement, manage your BI project, and handle reporting on the BI aspects of your grant.
- FIELD STATIONS & MARINE LABS: Want to create outreach with impact? I will help you develop artist-in-residence programs, writer’s retreats, and other art-science activities for your FS/ML. Bring your research to the public — and the public to your research — in fresh, engaging ways.
- SCIENCE MUSEUMS & NATURE CENTERS: Need something fresh to wow your audiences? Having trouble communicating difficult or controversial science concepts? I can connect you with artists to design innovative educational experiences for your visitors.
- ARTISTS: Interested in learning more about a particular scientific discipline or practice? I will help you find a science partner or embed in a lab or science institution as an artist in residence, even if the science institution doesn’t yet have an arts residency program. Scientists and science organizations may have funding for art projects that are relevant to their mission — let me help you tap into those resources.
- ARTIST RESIDENCIES & OTHER ARTS ORGANIZATIONS: Interested in finding out how your artists can use your facility to partner with scientists? I can advise you about ways to get started with science on your site, or grow your current art-science projects to the next level.
Services I provide:
- ART-SCIENCE CONVENINGS & WORKSHOPS: I can develop a range of cross-disciplinary activities, from a single faculty chat or symposium to a longer term seminar or think tank. Having worked extensively in both art and science, I can demystify the goals, processes, language, and culture of each discipline so that you can work together effectively. My goal is to help you build a balanced partnership of mutual understanding, respecting both the artist’s creative voice and the scientist’s need for accuracy.
- LITERATURE SEARCHES: I can compile peer-reviewed literature about art-science, for course development, publications, and grants.
- CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT: Having assisted course design for higher education for many years, I can help you develop a syllabus for art-science interdisciplinary classes and seminars.
- PARTNERSHIP BUILDING & PROJECT DESIGN: I connect artists and scientists with common goals, then help the partners design a project. Together we will develop timelines, budgets, funding options, outreach, evaluation, and dissemination of your project.
- GRANT WRITING & REPORTING: I will help you identify potential grant funders for your art-science project, communicate with program officers, write grants, and report on results of your funded project.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Once we have secured funding for your art-science partnership project, I can serve as project manager to keep activities on track, anticipate common areas of miscommunication, and ensure the project is meeting everyone’s goals.
- SCIENCE SOCIAL GROUPS: There are so many creative ways to connect science to the public. As founder and co-organizer of Asheville Science Tavern, I can use my expertise to help you set up a social group for creative science engagement. Science socials make science fun, human, and awe-inspiring.
Contact me for information about rates, services, or other questions.